Faecal test for Intestinal parasitism (microscopy of the native preparation)
Why this test?
- Diagnosis of intestinal parasitic infections, as well as asymptomatic carriers;
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of antiparasitic treatment.
In what cases is it prescribed?
- If intestinal parasitic infection is suspected.
- With diarrhea, the presence of mucus and blood in the stool, abdominal pain, nausea, itching and urticaria-like rashes on the skin, fever, weight loss, anemia, general weakness.
- When examining people who arrived from an endemic zone for some helminthiasis.
- During a scheduled dispensary examination, when passing a medical commission (for example, for work, admission to kindergarten, before scheduled hospitalization).
- After a course of antiparasitic therapy.
Intestinal parasitic infections are widespread throughout the world and are a frequent cause of disorders of the digestive tract, allergic diseases, and general somatic disorders. There are several hundred types of parasites that can cause disease in humans. Most often, intestinal parasitic infections are caused by such helminths as roundworms, hookworms, pinworms, bovine and porcine tapeworms, trichinella, and also the protozoa - giardia, amoeba. Infection is possible with non-observance of sanitary and hygienic standards, poor purification of drinking water, consumption of unwashed vegetables and fruits, insufficient heat treatment of meat and fish.
Clinical manifestations of intestinal parasitosis vary from asymptomatic carriage to severe diarrhea, intense abdominal pain, signs of impaired nutrition and absorption of nutrients, and severe anemia. The main diagnostic method that allows you to detect helminth eggs and cysts of protozoa and confirm the clinical diagnosis is light microscopy of feces. However, in connection with the non-constant release of helminth eggs and protozoan cysts, with a negative result of any microscopic analysis of feces and persistent clinical symptoms, repeated examinations of feces may be required at intervals of several days.